Things You Should Know About Hazardous Waste Disposal: Insights from a Romeoville Dumpster Rental Company
Did you know that many of the products you use to keep your Romeoville home clean and functional are classified as “hazardous” by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)? While these products are beneficial and generally safe to use around the home, properly disposing of them is another story. Household hazardous wastes (HHW) are any household products or chemicals that pose a threat to humans, animals, and the environment when improperly disposed of. You cannot simply throw this type of waste in a roll-off dumpster rental.
Below, this Romeoville dumpster rental company is going to discuss everything you’ll need to know about hazardous waste disposal.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can explode, catch fire, or react negatively with other substances. Take a quick look at your garage, laundry, and household cleaning supply closet, and you will find many products labeled with warnings such as caution, toxic, flammable, and more. All these products are classified as hazardous waste. Additionally, there are other products that we use daily that do not always bear warning labels. These common household items include fluorescent light bulbs and electronic devices.
The following are some examples of HHW that you may find in different areas of your Romeoville home:
- Engine oil
- Car batteries
- Grass clippings
- Household cleaners
- Drain cleaners
- Pest control solutions
- Compressed gas cylinders
Due to the danger and toxicity of hazardous household products, proper waste disposal is critical. Improper disposal can contaminate the soil, air, and water and even result in life-threatening diseases. Disposing of toxic or dangerous products in an indiscriminate manner also contributes to rising emissions, harms the plants and animals in the area, and may hurt the local economy.
Due to the wide variety of hazardous household products and their unique composition, you must follow some dos and don’ts to ensure safe waste disposal. Here are some tips from a Romeoville dumpster rental company on what you should do:
- Make sure that all the product has been used up. This is even more important when disposing of liquids and aerosol cans.
- Find local HHW collection events and drop-off programs to safely dispose of the waste.
- Consider recycling options. This is a good idea when disposing of electronics, batteries, and fluorescent light bulbs, among other items.
- Avoid mixing HHW with regular household waste and/or a dumpster rental. Doing so can be detrimental to your Romeoville dumpster rental company and the environment.
- Avoid disposing of liquid HHW down a sink, toilet, or any drain. This may result in a chemical reaction and possibly an explosion. The liquid HHW may also make its way into your water system.
- Avoid directly pouring liquid HHW into storm drains, creeks, or other bodies of water. This could contaminate our drinking water. Additionally, the toxic sludge is likely to harm aquatic plants and animals.
- Avoid pouring or burying HHW in the ground. This can contaminate the soil and harm or kill the local fauna and flora.
- Avoid burning HHW. Toxic waste is highly flammable or explosive; therefore, it can start uncontrollable fires or large explosions. Meanwhile, non-flammable HHW may continue to release toxic fumes hazardous to both humans and the environment.
Are You Looking for a Romeoville Dumpster Rental Company?
Not only is improper household hazardous waste disposal extremely dangerous to our community and environment, but it’s also illegal. By working with a professional Romeoville dumpster rental company, like Economy Disposal, you can ensure that all your household hazardous waste is disposed of properly.
If you need to rent a dumpster in Romeoville, we are the company to call. Not sure what dumpster size you need? One of our knowledgeable and friendly customer care specialists will be happy to help you determine the best dumpster size for your project. Contact us today at (708) 924-9750 to request a free quote.