How to Dispose of Old Appliances Responsibly: Tips from a Western Springs Dumpster Rental Company
If you’ve lived in your Western Springs home for several years, there may come a time when you need to get rid of an old appliance and replace it with a modern, more efficient model. Thankfully, there are many ways to dispose of old appliances — such as refrigerators, window air conditioning units, washers, dryers, and other large household appliances — economically and legally.
Are you interested in learning how to responsibly get rid of an old appliance? If so, you’ve come to the right place. This Western Springs dumpster rental company is going to discuss everything you’ll need to know below.
Most states and major cities in the United States have strict regulations governing the disposal of old appliances. Appliances containing hazardous components, such as freon refrigerants, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), or mercury, are of particular concern. Home appliances, regardless of where you live, need unique disposal processes.
- Hire a junk removal company: This is one of the quickest options. Simply call a Western Springs junk removal company with the specifics of the job. They will often pick up the old appliance from your home on the same day and dispose of it in accordance with local laws. The cost of hiring a junk removal company can vary, but generally starts around $100 to $150 — it can go up from there depending on the details of the appliance removal job. If you have a great deal of junk to get rid of, it often makes more sense to partner with your local Western Springs dumpster rental company.
- Donate it or give it away: Appliances that are still in good working condition should not be thrown on the scrap heap. You can give gently used appliances to a friend or family or you can donate them to a local nonprofit or charity.
- Turn to the local bounty program: Many municipalities around the country have programs — commonly referred to as a “Bounty Program” — for returning old appliances to local landfills or recycling facilities. Customers are generally offered incentives, such as special offers on Energy Star-certified appliances. Depending on your city, this service may be provided free of charge or for a fee per appliance. More information is available at EPA.gov.
- Landfill it: If you have the means, why not haul your old appliance to the landfill yourself? Be sure to consider the time and effort involved and the landfill fees of appliance drop-offs. If you cannot haul the appliance yourself, your local Western Springs dumpster rental company will be happy to assist you.
- Scrap it: Metal can be salvaged and repurposed from appliances. Scrap yards will “pay per pound” for old appliances — usually a few cents per pound, although this might vary depending on the current metal market and where you live.
The same disposal options listed above will work — but for the most efficient removal of multiple appliances, you may want to call a dumpster rental company in Western Springs, Illinois. Roll-off dumpsters are excellent for hauling multiple old appliances. You can have a dumpster delivered to your home with one phone call, saving you time and hassle.
Are you looking to rent a roll-off dumpster to dispose of your old appliances? If so, and if you’re looking for the top-rated Western Springs dumpster rental company, Economy Disposal is the company to call. Contact us today at (708) 924-9750 to request a free quote.